Networking and Social Media
One of the biggest online resources the internet has given us is social media.
What does that mean exactly? How can computers be social?
The computer, like a telephone, is just a medium for the conversation. Because of the expansiveness of the world wide web (it is WORLDWIDE!), social media allows users to communicate with people globally as though they were right next door.
Why does that matter? Any good sales person will tell you that the best advertising is word of mouth. Social media is word of mouth on steroids.
Because of how websites like facebook are built, photos, conversation and preferences are shared in a selective yet global fashion – a viral stream of consciousness that has the capacity to inspire strangers to act differently as a result ie: visit your website, buy your product, go to your show.
Not interested in hearing what my friends had for lunch today or that they LOL about a cute little kitty cat?
That is fine, you don’t need to use your social media profile in this way. Any of the top social media portals will give you lots of options for how you share and how you receive data. What is important is that you decide what you want to accomplish, pick the right tool for the job and then proceed to use the tool to accomplish the task.
Be careful, it is very easy to get distracted by cute little kitty cats!
Common social media sites:
- the most widely used website in the world.
- remember, in order to get a message out you need to be where the people are or no one is going to hear you
- video is a very reliable method of spreading a message – youtube is the largest video-based social media portal online today
- can best be described as a businessy facebook
- the network runs on the premise of business associations and circles of influence
- micro-blogging mixed with text messaging
- great for reading and publishing short thoughts on topics which you are either an expert in or wish to understand better